Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Un-Wedding written and illustrated Babette Cole

I understand what Babette Cole is trying to accomplish with her book. Helping children understand why their parents are getting a divorce through her comical portrayal might help them deal with the emotional weight of their own. This book I felt dealt with the heavy issue of divorce in a light and sensitive way. The words were well chosen and did not take sides. However, the idea of a book that influences children to get their parents  “un-wed” isn’t something I personally wish to teach. I would not read this book in my classroom for that reason. I have experienced divorce with multiple friends and students. The experience of which was devastating. I have even met individuals who have attempted suicide because of their parent’s decision to divorce. I feel that literature that helps children cope with divorce is needed. However, for me personally, this book crossed the line to promoting divorce. The only reason why parents should get a divorce is the fact that they no longer get along. Personally I do not feel like this is a good enough reason to get a divorce. I know this is my personal opinion but that I why I would need a stronger argument than that this is a well written book to have it in my classroom. I think I could find some better picture books that deal with the very sensitive issue of divorce.
The story itself is well written. The text does use a broad range of vocabulary and has several moments of words that sound like what they mean. The illustrations themselves are quite elaborate. The details on each page add to not only the story but give a deeper understanding to the characters themselves that cannot be found within the text. The characters each have their own personalities and the illustrations keep that consistent thought out the story. I loved the illustrations and found them not only informative but comical.
I would not use this text in my classroom for personal reasons. I do think that books that deal with literature is important but this one seemed to have several underlining tones that I did not appreciat. I felt this book was well written and would like to read books with illustrations by Joe Cepeda again.
Published: 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment