Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Misfits by James Howe

It was entertaining and had a great message. The idea of a “No Name Party” is something that all students can learn from no matter what the age. The book itself, however, I found to be simple in form and did not care for its literary style. I found the character somewhat stereotypical and flat.
The writing dialogue was somewhat unrealistic in my mind. I did not think Howe did a very good job with showing his readers and not telling his readers. Nor did his descriptions seem well crafted. Although I was not impressed with the quality of text the message is golden. Also students of all ages seem to truly enjoy this book.
I would use this book if bullying or name calling became and issue…which there always seems to be some. I would do a unit on perspective and thinking of why we bully. I would do this with older students who are accustom to reading chapter books. It would be very powerful for those in the same grades as Addie and Bobby. There are two picture books although the names escape me that discuss gossip and putdowns. One is for boys and the other is for girls. I think I would read aloud both of those book while we were reading this one. I also had a friend in my Drama in the Classroom who created a lesson plan for the last chapter of the book. In it she has the students read Bobby’s script. Highlighting certain parts where the students read in unison and in another color the ones where student read or another. She reads all the other parts. I would most definitely incorporate this into what ever lesson I chose to do with his lesson.
Published: 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment