Sunday, May 29, 2011

Octopus Oyster Hermit Crab Snail A poem of the Sea written and illustrated by Sara Anderson


I enjoyed this book, although I was not in love with it. I found the illustration nice and quaint and it was a fun book to read. I would never read it as a read aloud but I would have it on my shelf. The entire book is a poem and Anderson does a good job with her rhyming. Although she does not use perfect rhyme she does set up a pattern.
            Anderson’s illustrations are very colorful with muted tones to help set the mood for her poem. She also make’s her cover continue onto the back with her ocean background also beginning before the publishing information. She has a distinct style that brings imaginative life to her little sea creatures. This book would be good for students who are learning about poetry as the entire book is one. She uses great vocabulary such as “scurry” and “clatter” to get her point across. These worlds really draw on the sensory details Anderson wishes to get across to readers.
I would use this book as a free read in my room. I would also recommend in to students if we are doing a poetry unit. I would not choose it as a read aloud since I think I can find some better poetry literature out their but it is always an option.
Published: 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment