Saturday, May 28, 2011

Rose Blanche written and illustrated by Roberto Innocenti

I found this book to be powerful use of historical fiction. I was moved by the story and felt that it truly represented what it is like for a child to experience something like war and not understand it. I would most definitely have it in my classroom. However, I think that I would need to explain it before I allowed it on my shelf as a free read.
            Roberto Innocenti does a brilliant job with dealing with such a solemn moment in history as the Holocaust from the view of a Germen child. The book lends itself to an emotion loss toward the end just like one might experience who was there. It ends on a moment of hope leaving the reader not completely devastated. The author who similar to the protagonist lived in Germany during WWII draws on his own experiences to tell the tale of Rose Blanch.  The illustrations are very detailed and add to the story giving it a setting and mood. The muted colors of gray and red add to the emotions of the loss in war. Although the illustrations are realistic they do not show any images of the true horror of the Holocaust. It is through the story itself that the reader gains the knowledge although the text doesn’t go into detail. The author makes some brilliant choices with plot and diction to set the mood and tone of the book. He places the story in winter and uses detailed imagery like “old, broken toys” to show his readers and not tell them what is happening.
            I would use this book in my classroom. It does not go into great detail about the concentration camps although it mentions them. This allows the teacher to decide how in depth to go on the subject. This of course would depend on the age of the students. This book would also be great for those who have experienced the confusion of war. It can be easily misunderstood and Rose Blanch helps shed some light on her own. I would recommend this book to teacher as long as they used it with sensitivity as the subject entails.
Publish: 1985

No comments:

Post a Comment