Saturday, May 28, 2011

It’s A Secret written and illustrated by John Burningham

I found this book rather boring. I did not find the illustrations elaborate or incredibly detailed. They were simplistic in form and did not add any new insights to the story. I did not enjoy this book.
            Although Burnningham distinctly chooses several distinct colors to use throughout the story, the illustration’s styles looked as if they were drawn with pencil and marker or crayons.  The text had a specific pattern and rhyme as many children’s books do. It takes readers on an imaginary journey to where cats go at night but the tale is bland with any sensory or imagery details. The tone at times nears that of condescending. Although Burningham is a well know author I did not much care for this book and do not recommend it to other teachers. I feel in comparison to several others the masterful picture books I have read over the course of the weeks that there are more insightful and equipped books out there.
Published: 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment