Saturday, May 28, 2011

Art & Max written and illustrated by David Wiesner


I did not mean to get another Wiesner book. I was in the library flipping through books and was captured by this one’s elaborate illustrations. I took it home. It was not wordless so I didn’t think to check and see if it was Wiesner. I guess it goes to show why he won the Caldecotte Medal three times, (only the second person in history to do that). This book is not only a fantastic story about a little lizard attempting to paint but teaches students through showing (not telling) how to paint. He takes painting to its very basic elements of line, shape and color. As Max attempts to fix Arthur he learns how to point. Students will not only be craving to read this book over and over again but they will gain basic knowledge in painting.
Wiesner uses detailed illustrations that tell his story. The masterful details make each read have new insight into the characters, places and story. He uses a variety of colors to get his comical story across. The words add to the story but very few of them are needed to understand the story. His illustrations almost do the job for themselves as seen in Flotsam and Tuesday.  Wiesner is highly capable of doing this.
I would recommend this book to all teachers. I think this is a must have for art teachers. I would use this book when discussing art in class. I also would have it in my classroom as a read aloud. Like all of Wienser’s books this is a great read for all ages.
Published: 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment